Computer Screens: the eyes have it

As you sit in front of your computer for endless hours, do not become a zombie.  Here is a tried and true method to regenerate and energize your body and your mind — mending your mind and minding your body.

Recently,  I was communing with my computer facilitating an on-line course.  I was evaluating a student’s assignment.  I entered the evaluative feedback, clicked on submit, then OK, then submit, and OK again.  I could hear the computer churning away as I looked at the screen like a zombie.

I waited and watched as a series of images appeared on the horizon like dominoes in reverse.  Finally, the grade book stood at attention waiting for another round of the same process and format.  Suddenly my own brainy computer reached down into its depth and brought to full mindfulness the Zen expression “kill the Buddha” which means to kill any concept of the Buddha as something apart from oneself. To kill the Buddha is to be the Buddha.  Eureka!  The marriage of Zen and On-learning co-mingles into what I call ZENET.   Notice the Buddhist qualities of the word:  the two “Es” are in balance; the “N” is perfectly in the middle reminding us to focus on the “NOW” in a mindful way being aware of what is happening in the present moment; and the letter “Z” which in the alphabet is the “beginning of the end and the end of the beginning” is reflective of the beginning and ending and beginning and ending of the grade book process.  The “T” stands for transpersonal which encourages me to move into a transcendent state while I am waiting for the on-line grade to be processed, submitted, and for the next menu to appear.

Thus, after I go through the multiple process of submitting the grade, I slowly close my eyes, breathe deeply, repeat two mantras, and slowly open my eyes, and there before me is the next menu.  By doing this simple, yet profound meditation, my eyes are re-moistened, a calm washes over me, my muscles relax, and when I open my eyes I am again energized ready for the next assignment in grade book.  This Buddhist practice complements the hard-wired world of the NET.  As we sit before the monitor why not practice ZENET which helps you become more alert, perceptive, and when combined with concentration, develops a mind that is balanced, poised, and focused.

Roger J. Vanden Busch –