Encouraging Lifelong Learning

All of us at some point or another have had the opportunity to take a class to expand our knowledge base.  I like to seek out webinars for students to checkout on topics related to the my trade.  Let’s show them how to be a lifelong learner.

When I am preparing to teach a topic for my students, I search for information specific to the topic at hand.  I review the webinar and share the information with my students with some gentle encouragement to continue their learning.  To further encourage them, I will offer extra credit for them if they provide an information on what they learned and how they might be able to apply the information. Try to post the webinar information link to your blackboard course.

It really shows them that learning out of a traditional classroom can occur.  When they enter the job market full time, they will likely need to further their training by a multitude of methods.  It is also a great way to allows your students to demonstrate their employability skills.  I think we as educators must show our students how to be a lifelong learner.

Encouragement is a great thing!    books

Ken Delcore, NWTC HVACR Instructor