STIMULATING LEARNING THROUGH SIMULATION IN THE CLASSROOM

Nursing is a field that requires the ability to apply theoretical knowledge and skills at the bedside. One of the best ways to assess and strengthen the learners ability to do this is simulation in the classroom. This has been a new frontier for me. I have used simulation for small clinical groups but never for a large class of 30 students. I created a simulation using a patient record of a patient being admitted with angina which evolved into a MI. Students watched a camtasia relay on the pathophysiology of MI, diagnositc tests, and collaborative treatment modalities before the simulation. They were aware that there would be a simulation before they came to class and were told the roles would be determined by pulling names out of a hat. They were emailed thoughts to ponder to prepare for the simulation ahead of time.At the beginning of class we reviewed the assessments and interventions for patients being admitted with angina. I set the stage for a safe learning environment and what a great way to be able to work on the simulator versus a real patient.

Students who were assigned roles were also able to use a lifeline to phone other nurses who were observing the simulation.

After the simulation we debriefed and discussed what went well and what could be changed. This was great learning and students valued the learning. One of the challenges was keeping the students who were not doing the role play engaged. Based on student feedback this semester the students who will be doing the simulation will be in a simulation room and this will be displayed on monitors in the classroom. We have developed charts for the observers to use in the classroom to follow along with and discuss with their groups while watching the simulation. Another instructor will be in the classroom with these students while I am in the sim lab with those role playing. This should increase the engagement of the observers.

“I read and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I encourage anyone who is able to use simulation in the classroom.