Taking Time Away Helps Rejuvenate Education Excitement!

We’re all gearing up as faculty return tomorrow.  One of the best things I did for my students the past week was NOTHING….  There are many that may disagree, but I am well rested and excited to return to work.  I know I could have squeezed in some mandatory education or spent time preparing and setting up several labs, but I didn’t.  I chose to take a road trip with my family, do a little skiing, see a professional hockey game and lose a few card games.  It was wonderful.  I know I won’t always be able to do this, but will try to remember the feeling I have right now next time I’m tempted to sign up for the next big thing!

So this is not a tip on how to bring new technology into your classroom or evaluate your current methods.  However, it is a tip to remind you to take care of your inner self and spend some quality time with those you love!  In the end, I feel it will make me a better faculty member as I am ready to begin again!

One thought on “Taking Time Away Helps Rejuvenate Education Excitement!

1. Disagree? Why, I could not agree with you more. Your thoughts were inspirational, reminding me of the fundamental, basic, and non-negotiable priority of nurturing the education of the heart. You have not allowed technology or evaluations to squeeze the life from the heart of your family.

Relevant to your uplifting words here is s a quotation by philosopher, James Stevens – “The head does not know anything until the heart has listened. The heart knows today what the head will understand tomorrow.” You have listened and that has made all the difference.