Pictures really are worth a thousand words

131 

How difficult would it be to perform a graded nursing skill but, you just cannot recall the table set. A table set up can make or break a successful skills check off. Nursing students tend to be very visual learners. We ask them to perform numerous basic skills in the Practical Nursing Program and I have found through review from the feedback, using various different formats, that taped video skills and table set ups together are a catalyze to increased student satisfaction and to better course persistence/retention rates. My redo rates have dropped consistently over the past two years. I asked myself what does visual learning have to offer my nursing skills students. It helped my students to organize and analyze information and to incorporate new knowledge with what they already know. They can revisit the information over and over allowing them more than one viewing. It is important to me that my students not only perform the skills accurately but, that they also understand the why behind what they are doing. Another words, what is the rationale or critical thought behind that skill set. The brain has a strong capacity for images, visual learning strategies has helped my students better understand and retain needed information in the lab setting and more importantly in the clinical setting. Pictures really are worth a thousand words.

Thanks, Donna