Mining the Mind for Success

Having attended the 4th Annual – Success 1st Summit on August 18, 2015 at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College – the featured speaker, Scott Shickler reflected on the Mindset to Succeed:  The Power of Perseverance; however,  I left wondering what were the remaining 4 mindsets of the 7 mindsets?  (the three mindsets the speaker mentioned were: 1. Everything is possible; 2. Passion first; and 3. We are connected).

Since I did not buy the speaker’s book or check it out on the Internet, what are the 4 remaining processes for success? I am taking the liberty to offer the following 4 processes for your reflection, your success, your happiness, your persistence/perseverance, and to fuel your grit — they are:  7 habits of the conscious mind, 7 habits of the mind that lead to peace and harmony, 7 Soulful Habits of the Mind and the Heart, and 7 Secrets to Happiness.  In essence, “The mind is its own place and in itself can make a hell of heaven or a heaven of hell” – John Milton

———————————————————————–

7 Habits of the conscious mind

What? —What is it that I know?

Reasons? —what are my reasons behind this idea? How do I know what I think I know?  What is the evidence? Is it credible? What is the point of view?

Assumptions? —what are the assumptions underlying what I claim to know?

Inferences/Implications?–what inferences can be drawn from this statement? What are the implications? What difference does it make? What is its significance? Why do I think so? Who cares? Who said?

True?–Is it true? Why do I think so? What else do I need to know or understand before deciding if it is true or not?

Examples? —What would be a good example of this? How is this example connected with other ideas? Can I think of any examples of this in contemporary life?

Counter examples — Can I think of counter examples? Can this idea be reconciled with this counter-example? Are there any contradictions?

(Socratic Seminar International—www.SocraticSeminars.com)

————————————————————————-

7 habits of the peaceful and harmonious mind:

1. “Have a mind that is open to everything, and attached to nothing” – Tagore
  1. You give away what you are – how may I serve you?
  1. There are no justified resentments
  1. Give up your personal history – Don’t carry around your bag of manure.
  1. Treat yourself as if you are already what you would like to become
  1. Treasure the spark of life within you
  1. Avoid all thoughts that weaken you

(an adaptation of Wayne Dyer)

—————————————————————————–

7 Soulful Habits of the Mind and the Heart

1. To live – How often I take life for granted until somehow it is compromised. Life is a gift that is given to me freely to create, to nurture, to cherish, and to fulfill.

Describe a time you were fully alive.

1. To be Free – The multiplicity of freedoms be they constitutional, legal, our free will, physical, intellectual, spiritual, inner, and self-determined freedoms all create a collage of opportunities for me to become fully alive.

– What does it mean to be free?

1. To Understand – Stephen Covey, a highly successful consultant for thousands of industries over the years, was quoted as saying: “Seek not to be understood but to understand.”  Covey encourages us to learn something new every day .

What would you like to know more about?

1. To Create – Albert Einstein reminds us that “Imagination is more important than knowledge.” He should know having imagined and articulated a paradigm shift in the world of physics – the theory of relativity.

-Reflect on a creative moment or thought you have had.

1. To Enjoy: As only Mark Twain could express it: “My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.”  Do I enjoy what I am doing at work?  Am I open to the unexpected in the present moment? Am I an intelligent optimist? Do I have a sense of humor?

– In what ways to you enjoy life?

1. To Connect: When I hear the word connect I think of the three Cs:  cooperation, companionship, and compassion.  Cooperation, working together as a team can ultimately be the epitome of synergism.  Companionship is the coming together of individuals who eventually become friends.  Compassion is a feeling for and a feeling with. “If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching, or cool one pain, or help a fainting robin unto its nest again, I shall not live in vain.” –Emily Dickinson.

How can I make a difference?

1. To Transcend: How do I rise above or pass beyond my human limitations be they physical, intellectual, emotional, or otherwise.  Do I have the urge and the stirrings to transform my routine of everyday life?

-Reflect on these five dimensions of the self and recall special moments of transcendence:  flowers to stars; plants and animals; creative expressions of others; interpersonal relationships; and your own inner world.

(An adaptation of Passion for Life by Murial and John James, 1991)

—————————————————————————

7 Pathways to Happiness, Success, and Joy

1. Helen Keller
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”
  1. William Blake
    “The essentials to happiness are something to love, something to do, and something to hope for.”
  1. The Dalai Lama
    “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.”
  1. Aristotle
    “Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever ..Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.”
  1. John Templeton
    “Happiness comes from spiritual wealth, not material wealth… Happiness comes from giving, not getting. If we try hard to bring happiness to others, we cannot stop it from coming to us also. To get joy, we must give it, and to keep joy, we must scatter it.”

Finally speaking of Joy

“Why aren’t you dancing with joy at this very moment?” – Valayet Khan

Roger J. Vanden Busch

August 22, 2015