A glimpse into concept based learning

This summer I listened to a very interesting webinar regarding concept based learning, pertaining to nursing.   The speaker talked about a ‘continuing case study’, or one that would go throughout the semesters so students could build upon their previous knowledge. 

So I thought this would be great for nursing!  I developed a case study for first semester and second semester where the ‘patient’ in the case study gets progressively worse semester to semester.  The key to this project’s success though:  buy-in from other instructors to use this patient and case study in their courses.   I presented my case at a faculty meeting and was met with enthusiasm, not resistance.  A true testament to the great nursing team we have at NWTC.

This is the first semester we will be using this case study and I hope it goes smoothly.   Next semester, students will be exposed to the same patient/case study and, like a choose-your-own-adventure book, make decisions that will either help or harm the patient.  Hopefully they will draw on the history of the patient and put together the big ‘concepts’.

Mandee

Multicolored plasticine human figures concluding a treaty