Emotional Intelligence and ePerformance

Almost everyone has heard the term emotional intelligence (EI).  We discuss EI at NWTC through College 101 training.  It is described in great detail in Chapter 8 in Skip Downing’s textbook, On Course.  And we recognize “lack” of emotional intelligence with inappropriate student behavior.  However, how do we use emotional intelligence with our own faculty ePerformance? I came across a great article by Hendrie Weisinger, Emotional Intelligence at Work, in which he describes how we can use emotions and moods, of ourselves and our co-workers, to help make better decisions in the workplace.  The three main concepts of using EI in a faculty performance appraisal is: Mood Management, Interpersonal Expertise and Self-Motivation.  Mood Management is the basic foundation of understanding how to recognize your emotions and developing a plan to make them work for you rather than against you. Interpersonal Expertise deals with just that….interacting and relating with co-workers.   By using active listening skills and asking co-workers/supervisors for suggestions on improvement, you can formulate an excellent professional development plan. Self-motivation seemed to be the easiest category for me to incorporate into the ePerformance since it focused on taking action with one improvement suggestion at a time. Blocking off time each day or week to work on completing the documentation rather than trying to do it all at once.  I encourage you to check out this article on the Blog Site: Thicken Your Skin through Psychology Today. 

One thought on “Emotional Intelligence and ePerformance

1. Yes, mood management — it is I over E and not E over I — that is, Intellect over Emotions — but, on the other hand, “Am I afraid because I run, or do I run because I am afraid.”

Here are other ways to manage our moods — as we mend the mind and mind the body—

Unhealthy self-statements—the way I think determines the way I feel and the way I feel determines how I act.

I. Thoughts that lead to unhealthy depression- reframe each one—letters b through h—letter a is completed as an example
    a. How stupid I am- reframe – granted, I acted stupidly, but I am not stupid
    b. Because I have no right to be so wrong; I am a horrible for acting so badly
    c. Life owes me a living; I have no right to be treated so unfairly
    d. I can’t stand the conditions of my life – they stink
    e. I don’t have a right to fail
    f. I have to be perfect or else I am perfectly worthless
    g. I am disappointed in myself
    h. Damn me
    2. Thoughts that lead to unwanted anger-reframe each one – letters b through e- letter a is completed as an example
    a. He doesn’t have a right to go against my values-reframe-he has a free and it is not my will
    b. He has no right to treat me badly
    c. I will get even and hurt him back
    d. I can’t stand him when he doesn’t see that I am right
    e. I have every right to get angry

3. Thoughts that lead to choice-blocking fear and anxiety-reframe each one – letters b through j – letter a is completed as an example
    a. How dreadful it would be to fail – reframe – failure is not my first choice, but it is bearable; I don’t want to make mountains out of mole hills
    b. I have to get others to like me
    c. What is the worst should happen?
    d. Because this matter is potentially serious, I should dwell on it and brood about the worst possible result so I will be ready when it happens
    e. Others’ opinions of me equal me
    f. Others may reject me and that would be devastating
    g. I have to perform faster and better than anyone else
    h. The world will come to an end if —————
    I. But I have been such a nervous person all of my life
    j. Anxious people like myself are not as good as others

4. Thoughts that lead to undesirable guilt – -reframe each one – letters b through g – letter a is completed as an example
    a. If am guilty, I should feel guilty – -reframe – I best admit my wrongdoing so I can correct it – However, if I feel guilty, I am likely to beat myself over the head about the problem rather than solving it
    b. If I am at fault, then I am blameworthy
    c. If I don’t make myself feel good and guilty, I won’t try to do better
    d. I deserve to be punished
    e. I am stupid for feeling guilty
    f. It is normal to feel guilty for making mistakes, so I should do what is normal
    g. If I don’t feel guilty, I become an immoral and uncaring person

Because you and I have feelings about practically everything we do in life, the value of reflectively sorting these experiences is extremely important. The principles of rational thinking encourage you to help you feel more the way you want to and less the way you do not want to. People largely create their own emotions, and by examining your thinking you can begin to make your feelings more appropriate and less distressing.