Blackboard Announcements: Pique and Lure

As we begin a new semester, pique and lure your students into the web of discovery and learning by sprinkling your initial blackboard announcements with pieces of liberal arts. Discard your yellowed notes and power points that mummify your students. Avoid the usual hum-drum announcements that lack vitality, personality, and challenge.   As we begin the spring semester, remember the three E’s :  Exclaim, Excite, and Engage.      

As a facilitator of learning – Be a BORE:  Brief, organized, relevant, and energetic/enthusiastic.  Here is an example of my announcements on Blackboard for thinking critically and creatively and introductions to ethics — hopefully it catches and sustains your attention and piques your interest. 

Welcome —— My name is …………………………

It was Robert Frost who wrote in his poem The Road Not Taken-“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both, and one traveler, long I stood; and looked down one as far as I could; to where it bent in the undergrowth….I shall be telling this with a sigh, somewhere ages and ages hence; two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” I hope your learning experience is similar.

My philosophy of learning is: let us expand our horizons of understanding, share our knowledge, ask thought-provoking questions, and strive to make a difference in the world.     To stem the tide in our society we must make efforts to “teach values” and “sensitize” people in schools and organizations to awaken to the world around them, to write letters to powers that be, to form social interest groups, to accept the challenge of   Ghandi , “I must become the change that I want to make.”  

I must enlighten and convince others by the carefulness of my reasoning, the soundness of my decisions, the proper disposition of my heart, and the impact of my behavior in promoting social justice issues. To leave the cave of darkness and walk into the light of truth and justice even though others will laugh at you and reject what you stand for.

Here are the assignments to be completed before the first class…