I Respect You, but first, Myself.

Stop by the iRespect table and take the iRespect Pledge between 11- 1 p.m. in the Commons from March 7-10, 2016. Join in on the movement to show your commitment to nurturing an inclusive NWTC.

My mind harkens back to Rodney Dangerfield who was an American stand-up comedian, actor, producer, screenwriter and comedian known for the catchphrase “I don’t get no respect!”

This is a reflection on the iRespect campaign/pledge as relevant for the holidays,  holydays, and everyday in our diverse cultures and traditions.

iRespect   —- Take the Pledge — respecting the inherent dignity and worth of all human beings; however, before I can respect others, I need to respect myself as a human being who has dignity and worth.  Be present to yourself and give yourself presents for a healthy sense of I Am — Cogito Ergo Sum — “I think, therefore I am” – Rene Descartes.

Every year we proclaim, predict, profess, and promise ourselves that we will not be stretched, strained, and sucked into the Winter Solstice (rising in the dark and returning  home in the dark) only to discover that we have been sapped of peace, calm, and inner happiness.  The New Year does not get any better.  We become anxious, depressed, harried, hurried, disappointed, and exhausted as we attempt to balance our lives, relationships, families, careers, and other responsibilities and obligations that fall upon our shoulders unannounced, or the obligations that we magnify in our minds.  Keep in mind that our thoughts lie to us, and we do not have to believe every thought that we entertain.  Sigmund Freud said it well, “The mind is a nice place to visit, but I don’t want to live there.” Let us focus on each of the letters of I RESPECT.

I = We live in a world of “me, myself or is it, myselfie, and I” — My ego gives me a sense of myself –  and before I can share, I have to care, and before I can care, I have to be aware of myself not as selfish, but as self-directed as I reach out to others — “Seek not to be understood, but to understand.” – Stephen Covey

R=routine – help children adhere to the normal routines of bedtime, meals, and discipline; they will adjust more easily to the excitement, and you in turn will enjoy them more.

E=expectations – set realistic goals for yourself and others. Children will cry, people will become ill, gifts will flop, and inclement weather will come in heaps, drifts, and slippery roads.

S= self-care – this can be a busy time. You will need to guard your health with adequate rest – keep in mind, according to the news, that the flu has flown in earlier this year; avoid excessive amounts of caffeine and alcohol.  Say “No, thank you” to activities if you feel overextended. Treat yourself in moderation to sweets you really like.  I just love peanut clusters and chocolate chip cookies.  Avoid overeating so as to feed your negative emotions. Be self-directed and not selfish.

P = planning—plan ahead and set priorities. Make arrangements for extended family gatherings weeks ahead of time in order to accommodate everyone’s plans, if that is possible.  You can’t please everyone, and do not try.  Choose only those activities that are meaningful to you and your family.  One of my family’s best decisions was to start our own traditions to the awe and dismay of our relatives.

E = evaluation – evaluate your holiday budget for gifts and entertainment, then adhere to the budget strictly. Buy presents throughout the year or on lay-away when prices are lower and decorations are half-price. Consider handcrafting presents yourself or sharing your time, talent, or treasure with charitable organizations.  Our families get together on January 6 for the exchange of gifts, and they are gag-gifts.  Each person receives only one gift; and that gift may resurface the following year

C = care – this can be a busy time. You will need to guard your health with adequate rest – keep in mind, according to the news, that the flu has flown in earlier this year; avoid excessive amounts of caffeine and alcohol.  Say “No, thank you” to activities if you feel overextended. Treat yourself in moderation to sweets you really like.  I just love peanut clusters and chocolate chip cookies.  Avoid overeating so as to feed your negative emotions. Be self-directed and not selfish.

T= traditions – Gifts are soon forgotten or returned, but memories of family traditions are carried into future generations.  Reevaluate your traditions, and change or eliminate ones that are no longer meaningful.  Encourage family members to suggest new traditions.