Paw Patrol, Curious George and Mechanical Ventilation?

As a father of two, I have to confess that I use the electronic nanny (TV) nearly each morning as my wife and I are getting ready for the day. What I am amazed at is the fact that a 2 and 5 year old can remain interested and learn…even some fairly complex subject matter at times! I found my self wondering if cartoons could work for students too.

What I discovered was that students struggled with some of the new content in the theory course that I teach. Mechanical ventilation, hemodynamic monitoring and gastrointestinal diets were all areas where they did not perform as well on exams as we would have liked despite using extra class time on these areas.

I decided that I would no longer use extra class time, but would rather “get ready” and allow  the cartoons that I created to do the hard work.  Similar to my children being hooked on Curious George and Paw Patrol, my students really did loved the small videos. This non-traditional way of teaching allowed them to get a good grasp of the content. I found that if they were able to laugh a little bit while viewing these videos, they were able to retain the knowledge better. Ultimately, this led to better knowledge retention and examination scores on these content areas as well.

In conclusion, I would just like to give a shout out to Curious George, Paw Patrol and xTraNormal for teaching my kids and students things better than through traditional means.